Coagulopathy and Antiphospholipid Antibodies in Patients with Covid-19 - NEJM
By: Zhang, et al.
Describe a covid-19 patient with significant coagulopathy, antiphospholipid antibodies and multiple infarcts
- Antiphospholipid coagulopathy might be associated with covid-19
- Three patients on a special covid-19 ICU had significant coagulopathy, antiphospholipid antibodies and multiple infarcts
- Case of a 69 year old with history of hypertension, DM, and stroke is described.
- Presentation: cough, fever, dyspnea, diarrhea, and headache.
- RT-PCR detected SARS-CoV-2 → supportive treatment on which the illness progressed to respiratory failure needing invasive ventilation
- Patients showed evidence of ischemia of both lower limbs and several fingers. CT-cerebrum showed bilateral infarction.
- Prothrombin time, thromboplastin time, D-dimer and fibrinogen were elevated. Subsequent testing showed anticardiolipine IgA antibodies aswell as anti-beta2-glycoproteine I IgA en IgG antibodies
- Two other covid-19 patients presented similarly.